Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Bananaberry Bread



I am always looking for new healthy snack recipes. I get bored with snacks easily and when that happens I find myself reaching for those comforting fatty snacks. My husband sent me a link to an article on Prevention.com which had recipes for 14 healthy snacks (http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/diet-foods-weight-loss-snacks). The first one that caught my eye was this Bananaberry Bread. It had great ingredients and they even suggested topping it with a little peanut butter and I LOVE peanut butter. This snack packs in fruit, protein, and whole grains! Not only does it taste incredible, but it's great for you so you can feel good eating it!


Bananaberry Bread


3 ripe bananas

1/2t baking soda

3 tablespoons margarine (I used a reduced fat olive oil spread)

1/4C mashed avocado

3/4C sugar

3 eggs

2C whole wheat flour (the recipe suggests using part white flour, but I wanted all whole grain)

1t salt

1t baking powder

3T cold water

1t vanilla extract (I always over pour when using vanilla extract...it's just too good!)

1C fresh blueberries (you can use frozen too)


Pre-heat oven to 350. Mash bananas and baking soda together in a bowl and set aside. With a mixer; cream together margarine, avocado, and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time while continuing to mix. Add flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix. Add water and vanilla and mix until all is well combined. Now add the banana/baking soda from earlier and mix. Then fold in the blueberries carefully so they do not pop open.

Pour evenly into 2- 8" loaf bread pans. Bake 40-50 minutes. Test with toothpick in the center; if it comes clean, it's done! Allow to cool and then remove loaf from pan.

This was so quick and easy to make. You can even freeze one of the loafs for later. That didn't happen in my house though. It was gone in just a few days lol!

I spread a little chunky peanut butter on top of 1 slice and had a small glass of non-fat milk for breakfast. Such a yummy breakfast and even adding the peanut butter and milk was still all under 300 calories! If you are a fan of banana bread you have to try this and if you have never baked with whole wheat flour, you will be pleasantly surprised that it tastes just as good as enriched white flour, but so much better for you! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment