Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Chicken, Artichoke, and Cannellini Bean Spezzatino...aka the BEST stew I have ever had!!!



Ok this is for those of you who heard me mention the best stew I've ever had while talking about the Cranberry-Lime Sangria I made for Christmas Eve. I know I mentioned that I would blog about it and provide the recipe during that post so here it is! It is called Chicken, Artichoke, and Cannellini Bean Spezzatino and there are three things I know for sure about this recipe... 1. A Spezzatino is just a fancy Italian word for Stew 2. It tastes AMAZING and 3. It only takes about 30 min to cook!

This is one of those great recipe's that you can make to feed a large group of people and totally impress them with your Italian cooking skills. I found this recipe while watching an episode of Giada at Home on the Food Network. I have tried many of her recipe's and she is a fantastic Italian cook!


Ingredients:


2T Olive Oil

6 strips of bacon (Giada uses Pancetta, but I prefer good 'ol fashion American Bacon lol)

2 Medium size Carrots-sliced thin

2 Medium size Celery Stalks-sliced thin

1 Onion

3 Cloves Garlic

1t Salt

1t Pepper

2-14oz cans low sodium Chicken Broth (TIP: I always buy low-sodium broth, it tastes just as good as the regular and so much better for you!)

1T Basil

2T Tomato Paste

2t Dried Thyme

1 Bay Leaf

3 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts with Rib Meat

12 oz. Artichoke Hearts-Chopped small

1-15oz. can Cannellini Beans (rinsed and drained)


Start by heating the oil in a large saucepan (large enough to hold the entire stew) over med-high heat. Chop the bacon into small bite size pieces and add to pan. Cook about 6-8 min or until nice and crispy. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon and place on a paper towel to drain. Now we have that nice fatty bacon grease to saute our vegetables in!

Add the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook until the onion is translucent (5min or so). Stir in the chicken broth, basil, tomato paste, thyme, and bay leaf. Add the chicken whole and submerge into liquid. Reduce the heat to med-low and simmer for 20min. Then add artichokes and beans and turn the chicken breasts over. Cook for 10 more min. Remove the chicken and shred or chop into bite size pieces and return to the stew and cook 5 more min. Remove the bay leaf and spoon the stew into bowls. Top with the bacon and serve!!

This is such a warm, hearty, comforting meal that is so easy to make and your family or guests will love it! I want to make it again just talking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment