Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

My Thumb Just May Be Turning "Green"


Green Thumb;
Noun
1.   A natural skill for gardening
2. A person with this skill

Hmmm....a natural skill for gardening...yup, not me! Well, now that is all in the past. I think my thumb just might be turning a shade of green. Thanks to my complete backyard overhaul, some much needed knowledge from my MIL (aka the Queen of Gardening), and a little gardening fashion.

But seriously, I was never the outdoorsy type. Even as a little girl. I was way too busy playing dress up inside. And even now into my 20's, ok fine closer to 30's, I still seem to kill every plant I touch!!
I mentioned a few weeks ago that we were working on a complete backyard makeover and I am almost ready to show you photos and share the story! I don't know much about gardening, but I am so excited to share some tips with you that I have learned along the way!

Here are a few things I now know for sure:
1. You MUST use fertilizer if you want your flowers to look amazing.
2. You MUST pinch off any dead/dried up buds if you want new ones to grow in their place.
3. You MUST water regularly.
4. Research what types of flowers grow best in your area. Obviously in Texas I needed to find drought resistant and full sun flowers.
5. You need to use a mix of gardening soil and potting soil when planting your new flowers.
6. A little gardening fashion never hurts :)



 This stuff is seriously magic for flowers. It is Alaska Fish Fertilizer. About $5 at Lowe's. I use about a Tablespoon of the fertilizer mixed with a gallon of water (I pour it directly into my watering can), once a week on all of my flowers and shrubs. I will warn you, this stuff smells NASTY!!! But, it works! My flowers quadrupled in size in only 2 weeks and they look like they could be in a magazine!




 And this is Miracle Gro Bloom Booster. Also about $5 at Lowe's. I rotate between this and the Fish Fertilizer. You only need to fertilize about once a week. This works the same way. One scoop into your watering can and add water. This is like steroids for flowers. You will have crazy blooms after using this for a few weeks!



 And here is my gardening fashionista gear! Come on, if anyone can find a way to make gardening fashionable it was going to be me! It is much more fun wearing these cute gardening boots around the yard than a gross old pair of tennis shoes!


 How cute are these!? These gardening boots were only $19.99 at Target!


 And this pair of gloves and shovel were only $1 each at Target! They were in the dollar section at the front of the store. I NEVER walk into a target without checking this section first and neither should you!!!

So, I hope that you all learned some new gardening tips today and if you are like I used to be, without any green thumb, I promise if you follow these tips it will change! Hey, I even have a board on Pinterest called 'For my not so green thumb', guess I need to go change that now!

Happy Gardening!


No comments:

Post a Comment