Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups



Now that I am a stay home mom, I have been experimenting in the kitchen a lot! I have always loved cooking and baking, but I have now taken it to a completely different level. I am also obsessed with sweets. I rarely have a lunch or dinner go by where I don't have something sweet afterwards. I crave chocolate by the second. With the way I eat, I really should weigh 500lbs. Recently I started a routine where I try a new "sweets" recipe once a week or so. And this week turned out to be heaven so I just had to share...


My husband's favorite thing in the whole world to have for dessert is anything with a combination of peanut butter and chocolate. I came across a recipe that inspired me to take a basic favorite, the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, and make a homemade version. And as Paula Deen would say, "This is to DIE for ya'll!" I bake all the time now and everything I put chocolate in turns out to be pretty good, I mean how can you go wrong with chocolate, but this is DEVINE!

Here is the recipe after my customizations...try it and let me know what you think!







Ingredients:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 can cream cheese frosting
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2T sugar
3 graham crackers-crumbled
2 bags Hershey’s chocolate chips

Baking:
Bake the chocolate cake according to the box directions. When its finished baking allow it to cool at room temperature for about 30min. Once cooled, transfer to a bowl and mix in can of cream cheese frosting. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. This will allow the mixture to harden just slightly.
Take a 12 cup muffin pan and line with cupcake liners. Melt 1 bag of chocolate chips either on the stove or microwave. Pour a little melted chocolate into each cupcake liner and then use the back of a spoon or pastry brush to make sure the chocolate covers the bottom of the cupcake liner and about halfway up the sides. There needs to be a good enough amount to hold in the rest of the ingredients to come…
Place this into the refrigerator for a few minutes to allow it to harden. Meanwhile mix your peanut butter, sugar, and graham crackers. Place this in the refrigerator for a few minutes.
Take your chocolate lined muffin pan out of the refrigerator as well as your cake/frosting mix. You are going to scoop a small amount of cake into each cupcake liner. A little smaller than a golf ball. Use your spoon or fingers to flatten into liner. Then remove your peanut butter mix from refrigerator and scoop a small amount of that on top of the cake in the liners. You can flatten this down a little too. Once all of your cupcake liners are filled, place them back into the refrigerator.
You will now melt the second bag of chocolate chips. Remove muffin pan from fridge and pour a small amount of chocolate over each cup creating a chocolate top. Use a spoon or spatula to make sure the chocolate covers the entire top of the cupcake liner and seals the sides.
Now you can place this back in the fridge (I know, for the hundredth time) and allow them to cool and harden. Give it about 30-60min and they will be ready for you to enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment