Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shabby Nightstand

If you've been following my blog, you know that I am now working on re-designing my master bedroom. I recently began repainting all of the furniture in the room. Everything we had was very dark espresso colored wood. We had these matching night stands that were in great condition and had great lines, but they were just too dark and modern looking for the Cape Cod look I was going for. So, I decided to paint and distress them to give them a shabby, worn look. Here is the process step by step!

Here is the nightstand before. It was dark espresso and it had one handle in the center of the drawer.

First I used a heavy weight sand paper to roughly sand it down. Since I knew I was going to be distressing it in the end, I didn't worry about sanding in completely. I just scraped the surface enough for the paint to have something to adhere to.

I removed the drawer and sanded it down as well.

Since I knew I wanted to replace the handle and use 2 this time, I filled the holes with wood filler and once that was dry I sanded it down again. This way, after it is painted, you will never know there were holes there!

This is after one coat of paint. I used a small roller to do this coat. I used Behr paint color Bistro White in a Satin finish.

This is after the second coat of paint. I used a brush to do this final coat since I wanted a brushed look. I also bought my brushes at the dollar store! They had really great brushes in all sizes all for $1!!

From there I distressed all of the edges and a little on the front with heavy weight sand paper and a medium weight sanding sponge.

I added new hardware to the drawer from Hobby Lobby. These pulls were only $3 each! I just drilled new holes for the screws!

Here is the side by side before and after! What a huge transformation!

After a little styling with a small grey wicker basket below and a dark lamp on top, they look amazing in my bedroom! I can't wait to show you the whole room. It is turning out beautifully!
This was my first time painting and distressing furniture and it was really easy. Yes, it did take a few days to complete, but totally worth it! I hope I have inspired you to transform one of your furniture pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment